Not only are insomnia risky to cause harm to health. Excessive sleep a.k.a Hypersomnia can make you tired, difficult to concentrate, to increase the risk of the emergence of various diseases. Fortunately, there are a number of ways that you can do to address excessive sleep problems.
Various tricks to overcome excessive sleep. Hypersomnia can be caused by many factors. Ranging from less sleep hours, drug side effects, to certain diseases that make you often sleepy.
For more effective handling, you need to know the cause first. Here are some ways to handle oversleep issues based on their causes:
1. Implement Healthy sleep measures
This is the simplest way, but it requires a strong commitment so you can cope with excessive sleep.
Healthy sleep is made up of a number of ways that need to be done routinely to restore normal sleep cycles. Some things that can be done are:
1. Familiarize your sleep and wake up at the same hour.
2. Limit the NAP to not exceed 20-30 minutes a day.
3. Don't consume caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, soft drinks and foods that are fried, spicy, high in fat, and sour before bedtime. These foods and beverages can stimulate the digestive system's work during sleep.
4. Ensure the room environment supports to sleep. For example, by dimming the lamp, use a pillow and a soft bolster, and set the temperature of the room so that it is not too hot or cold.
5. Do things that make you relax before bedtime. For example, a warm shower, reading a book, or stretching a body.
2. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
This one can be used to cope with excessive sleep due to psychological problems. This therapy aims to change the mindset, emotions, responses, or behaviors that make the patient vulnerable to hypersomnia.
CBT is conducted in several sessions with a therapist. The therapist will help the patient describe the problem into several parts and then together seek the solution. The agreed solution is expected to provide advancement in the next counseling session.
3. Taking medication stimulant
A stimulant is a group of drugs that speeds up signal delivery between the brain and body.
This medication can keep you awake, energized, even feel more confident. The most common examples of stimulant drugs are methylphenidate and modafinil.
Its very commonly used to address excessive sleep problems, whether or not the cause is known or not.
Although effective, stimulant drugs shouldn't be consumed in the long term because they have side effects on teeth, heart, and behavior.
Come back again, to be safe, consult your doctor before drinking.
4. Taking non-stimulant drugs
Other group of drugs can also make you more awake even though it doesn't work as a stimulant.
The mechanism is certainly unknown, but these drugs are believed to increase production of dopamine compounds in the brain.
When dopamine production rises, melatonin production will decline. As a result, you aren't easy to feel sleepy.
5. Taking sodium-oxybate medication
Another powerful way to cope with excessive sleep is to drink oxybate sodium medication.
The drug is commonly used to treat narcolepsy, which is a severe sleep disorder characterized by excessive sleepiness, hallucinations, and sudden sleep during activity.
Efficacy of sodium oxybate to overcome hypersomnia hasn't been proven completely.
However, a study in the journal Sleep Medicine found that sodium oxybate could reduce drowsiness in 71 percent of hypersomnia patients.
Hypersomnia can generally be solved by applying healthy sleep measures.
However, excessive sleepiness and sleep habits due to other medical causes require more serious treatment.
If sleep hygiene and sleeping hours don't bear results, try to consult a doctor. Mainly in the consumption of medicines above.
Further inspection will determine the most appropriate way to solve the excessive sleep problems you are facing.